Open House: Welcome Home
Welcome to Mia’s Open House, an ongoing series featuring performances, art-making, gallery activities, and some surprises along the way. Created in collaboration with local artists, and community partners, this Friday evening series is designed for families, chosen family, and people of all ages. Bring your friends—or make some while you are here.
Celebrate our community, meet your neighbors, make art, and have fun.
In December, inspired by the current exhibition, “Artists Reflect: Contemporary Views on the American War,” this evening celebrates Southeast Asian identities and communities of the Twin Cities through performance, poetry, food, and music.
Curated by Lao poet, playright, and activist Saymoukda Duangphouxay Vongsay.
- Performances by puppeteers Denise Hạnh Huỳnh, Andrew Young, Ty Chapman, Liping Vong, Antoine Martinneau,and Oanh Vu.
- Demonstrations, including:
- Weaving with Linvy Paw
- Cooking & tasting by Khmer chef Rothana Walbolt
- Printmaking with Dennis Madamba
- Comedy from Funny Asian Women Kollective artists
- Storytime: Children’s books When Everything Was Everything (Saymoukda Vongsay) and A Different Pond (Bao Phi, Thi Bui) will read aloud and accompanied by activities.
- Film Screening of “Kung Fu Zombies vs Shaman Warrior” short film by Saymoukda Vongsay and Matty Huynh.
- Self-Care Area facilitated by Hmong healer Bruce Thao
- Refreshments by Soul Lao and Indigo Drinks