Spring 2020 class information is available below now! Registration begins January 2020.
Mia’s youth classes provide challenging hands-on art experiences that are enriched and inspired by works of art in the museum’s collection and special exhibitions. Led by qualified art instructors, museum classes offer young people a broad cultural view of art history, as well as fascinating insights into artists, techniques, and styles.
In the galleries, students spend time learning directly from masterpieces. In the studio, students develop basic art skills, experiment with an array of artistic mediums, and gain confidence through exercises that foster self-expression. Creative problem solving and art-making activities are integrated into each class. Selected artworks by students are displayed in the Community Commons Gallery.
Mia’s studio programs embrace learners of all abilities and backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, religious background, socioeconomic or immigration status, learning or physical ability. Studio programs respect and value individual as well as whole family learning and growth through art exploration, conversation, and hands-on experiences. We recognize that there is no one right way to have a family, and we supports all families’ rights to have healthy, happy, safe, and artful lives together.
Before and After Care
Mia is excited to offer extended care for participants registered for camps. Students will experience free play time and creative activities with Mia’s arts educators. Morning Care is offered from 8-9:30AM, and Afternoon Care is offered from 3:30-5PM. Sessions are $10 each (sliding scale and scholarships available). Those who have registered for MEA Week classes will receive a follow-up email regarding extended care options for both morning and afternoon care. For more information call Mia at 612-870-3000.
Youth Class Sliding-Scale Pricing
|Annual Household Income||School Release Day Classes||Toddler Classes||Half Day Camps||Full Day Camps|
|Up to $25,000||Full scholarships available||Full scholarships available||Full scholarships available||Full scholarships available|
|$25,000 – 34,000||$18||$4||$45||$90|
|$35,000 – 44,000||$37||$8||$90||$180|
|Over $60,000||$75 ($60 My Mia members)||$16 ($13 My Mia members)||$180 ($145 My Mia members)||$360 ($290 My Mia members)|
Whittier or Phillips Neighborhood Residents receive a 50% discount on all classes.
Full scholarships are available
The Mia Youth & Teen Studio Program is pleased to offer full scholarships to families who qualify. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and are valid for one year. Each youth or teen awarded scholarship is invited to participate in one class/camp per semester. Email email@example.com or call (612) 870-3013 to begin the scholarship process.
Youth Class Guidelines
- Parking The museum’s entrance and drop-off area is located on Third Avenue South between 24th and 25th streets. A parking ramp is located south of the museum. Additional parking is located at lots on the northeast corner of the intersection of 24th Street and Third Avenue South, and also on Third Avenue South, across from the ramp. A modest fee is charged for all off-street museum parking.
- Drop off Meet the instructor in the museum’s Third Avenue lobby prior to class. Please be on time. Any questions about registration may be directed to Visitor Engagement staff in the Third Avenue lobby or at (612) 870-3000.
- Pick up At the end of class, you may meet your child just outside the studio or in the lobby. Please be on time. If you are arriving more than 10 minutes late, please call (612) 870-3207. For your child’s protection, Mia requires all children under age 13 to be escorted by a parent or guardian.
- What to Bring Please pack a well-balanced lunch for full-day classes and camps and a snack for half-day classes and camps. Students are encouraged to bring water bottles. Because some students have severe nut allergies, please do not pack lunches that contain nuts or nut butters. Close-toed shoes are encouraged for playing outside during lunch breaks. Please label everything with your student’s name. Items left after classes will be kept in the museum lost and found for one week.
- Allergies Mia strives to meet the needs of all students. If your child has a severe allergy to foods or other common materials, please indicate this on the Emergency Contact Form and/or by phone: (612) 870-3207.
- What to wear Although art aprons are provided, please have your child wear comfortable clothes that can get messy.
- Behavior Policy To ensure the museum’s art programs are safe, respectful, and fun for students and staff, we have established a policy to manage incidents that involve chronic disruption of classes and/or safety. We reserve the right to remove children who do not adhere to our behavior policy.
- One-Foot Rule For your child’s safety and for the preservation of the artwork, students are asked to maintain a one-foot distance from the artwork they are viewing.
- Photographs The museum assumes the right to record or photograph students in class for educational or promotional purposes. All images will be used to help illustrate and explain educational programs at the museum. If you do not want your child to participate, please fill out the disclaimer on the Emergency Contact Form.
- Reception On the last session of multiple-day classes, you’re invited to an exhibition of student work. Family members and friends may join their student artists for refreshments about 20 minutes before the end of class. You may take home your child’s work after the reception. Please note: Artwork left in the studios following the last class will be held for one month only.
- Withdrawal & Refunds Policy A full refund is granted if a class is canceled by the museum. For multi-session classes, a full refund will be issued if requested within 14 days or more before the first class. Refunds will not be given fewer than 14 days before a class. For questions or more information, please call (612) 870-6323.
- Weather Closures To learn if the museum is closed due to weather, log on to wcco.com or artsmia.org.
- Questions If you have any questions about the class, please speak to the instructor before or after class or contact (612) 870-3207.
Toddler Tuesdays Studio Classes, Ages 3-5 with an Adult
Toddler Tuesdays: Artful Animals
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Toddler Tuesdays: Playing with Paper
Tuesday, March 10, 2020
Toddler Tuesdays: Action Painting
Tuesday, March 3, 2020
Toddler Tuesdays: Sculpting
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Toddler Tuesdays: Art + Music
Tuesday, February 11, 2020
Toddler Tuesdays: Collage Creations
Tuesday, February 4, 2020