The museum is temporarily closed. Learn more.
Butterfly Window Decoration
You will need:
- Coffee filters (round works best, but cone filters will work if you cut them down the seams and open them up flat)
- Washable markers
- Clothespins (hair ties, rubber bands, or pipe cleaners will work
- A spray bottle of water
- 1. Draw on the coffee filter with your washable markers. Fill in as much of the blank space as possible. You can use multiple colors, designs, and shapes.
- 2. Pinch the coffee filter in the middle so that you create a butterfly shape. Use a clothespin, hair tie, rubber band, or pipe cleaner to secure the middle.
- 3. Spray your artwork with water until the colors start to run throughout the coffee filter. It’s best to do this over a sink or towel.
- 4. Let your butterfly dry. Once it’s complete, clip it near a window to let the sun shine on your artwork!
Watch this how-to video to get started