Public Guided Tours
Discover the museum with the help of our trained tour guides. Free one-hour public tours are offered daily. Topics range from special exhibitions to treasures of Mia’s permanent collection. Feel free to join the tours at any point, and stay as long as you like.
Bring your class to Mia! Whether your tour is guided or self guided please place an online request to assure availability for your group. School Groups may request a free guided or self-guided tour online.
Private Guided Tours
Private, guided tours of the permanent collection and special exhibitions are available for groups of 10 or more. Pick from one of our most popular topics, or together we can create a tour topic of your very own. For permanent collection, special topics, and special exhibition tours please call the Tour Office: (612) 870-3140. A tour of 15 people maximum per guide will be charged a fee of $150 for permanent collection tour. Special exhibition admission fees vary by exhibition.
- Request a tour
- Group Guidelines & Responsibilities for Self-Guided Visits for Adults
- Group Guidelines & Responsibilities for Guided Visits for Adults
Popup Book Tours
All Souls Trilogy and Time’s Convert Book Tours
View and discuss related artworks selected by author Deborah Harkness, especially for tours at Mia!
Two options are available:
JOIN A FREE PUBLIC TOUR
To reserve a place, call 612.870.3140.
Select one of the following dates:
October 31 at 11:30 am
November 1 at 6:00 pm
November 2 at 6:00 pm
November 3 at 2 pm
Space is limited to 30 people per tour date.
SCHEDULE A PRIVATE TOUR FOR YOUR GROUP
To reserve, call 612.870.3140. Fee: $5.00 per person.
Select your date at least 2 weeks in advance:
Thursday, November 8, 15, or 29 at 6 pm
Friday, November 9, 16, or 30; choose a start time between 10 am and 6 pm
Space is limited to 15 people per tour date.
Adult Book Tours
Join lively discussions of art works related to popular books, facilitated by a museum guide.
FREE public tours: Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays at 6:30 p.m., and third Sundays of every month at 3 p.m. Drop in; no reservation necessary. Public tours are only available for the book listed for the current month.
- October Lagoon, Nnedi Okorafor
- November Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, Erik Larson
- December A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith
Private Book Club Tours
Your group selects the book, day, and time. We customize a tour especially for you. See the list below, or we will be happy to consider other possible selections. Special rate: $75 for up to 20 people. Call (612) 870-3140 to reserve.
After the tour, receive a coupon for 20% off on food and beverages at Agra Culture at Mia.
Choose from our list of visitor favorites:
- LaRose by Louise Erdrich
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
- Emma by Jane Austen
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Hare with Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance by Edmund de Waal
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
- Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
- Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland
- The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean
- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
- Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach
Youth Book Tours
Books + Art + You = Summer Fun!
Drop in: Wednesdays and Fridays, 1 p.m. Tours last one hour.
Connect the chapter books you love with artworks from Mia’s collection.
Gain a better understanding of the story, the art—and even yourself!
- June The Crossover, Kwame Alexander
- July Heart of a Samurai, Margi Preus
- August Under the Egg, Laura Marx Fitzgerald
Try it Tours
A Feast for the Eyes: Highlights of Mia’s World-class Collection
Ever been tempted to touch the art? Or play dress-up in the galleries? Want to hear tantalizing stories behind the objects?
This is your chance to experience a museum tour with a twist. Curated with an eye for intrigue and delight, Try It Tours serve up experiences you’ve never had in an art museum. Guides practiced in the art of storytelling bring the art to life in new ways, inspiring your sense of wonder and igniting your curiosity. We don’t want to give away the surprises—but be prepared for anything!
Group size: 15–30; $20 per person
To reserve this 90-minute experience for your group, call 612.870.3140 at least one month in advance.
For printable information about this tour: Try It Tour